Thursday, May 6, 2010

Keys!

Today my sister and I went on another trek to estate sales in the area. We found a great sale that had a lot of interesting bits and pieces (the kind of thing I like to pick up for mixed media art). One of the finds was a cache of skeleton keys--literally hundreds of them! Most were about three inches long and very rusty, but I found some that I would like to use. Another bonus was a ring of larger skeleton keys, each about 5 or 6 inches long. I don't know for what these keys might have originally been used, but my imagination conjures up hidden ornate garden gates that open to lush green orchards and flowering beds, or possibly dark dungeon doors guarding some deposed royal personage, or maybe they have guarded the proverbial fountain of youth. But the thing about keys is the fact that their purpose is always to lock and we are always seeking to unlock. And of course the key makes that possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment