Sunday, February 28, 2010

Button Box


OK, Here is the picture of the button box. I made this several years ago, and it was one of my first attempts at boxmaking. I made it from bookboard (which is not easy to cut, I can tell you) and is supposed to have feet made from empty wooden spools (not yet made)! I had so much fun picking out the buttons for this fun little box. The design was from a book called Making Memory Boxes by Barbara Mauriello.
I have inherited the "button box" from my family. It is a collection of buttons in a large tin from ages and ages ago. I have always loved this box and played with the buttons as a child. I continue to add to my collection of buttons and use them in my artwork whenever possible. I have a stamp that says "Women are like buttons, they hold things together." (River City Rubberworks, 4066-F). I believe this to be true, and I know my tin of old buttons links me to my mother and grandmother as keepers of our family heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment