Monday, August 22, 2016
Hello Bloggers! Today I made a project I have been wanting to do for a few weeks, ever since I saw Lindsay Weirach's post/video using Rubber Stamp Tapestry peg stamps to do a quilt-look card. You can see her original project/post here: http://ideas.pegstamps.com/2016/07/02/diy-puffy-paper-quilt-card/
First of all, loved several of her techniques to make this look like a real quilt--she embossed all the quilt lines, adding faux stitch lines and then "puffed" it up with a hot glue gun.
I had to make a few tiny changes. I could not remember where I put my color dusters, which she used to add the background color, but my Tim Holtz Distress Inks were to hand, so used those in the colors of Mandarin, Aged Mahogany, Barn Door, and Wild Honey to add the background color in the blocks. This worked great, with the exception that my backround was a little wet from the inks, so I had to let it dry before stamping.
I didn't have the actual peg stamps from Rubber Stamp Tapestry that she used, so I combined two different sets to get a look of old fashioned flowered quilt fabrics. Also, I tried at first to use some Tsukineko pigment inks for the stamping, but I think my inks were too dry so I penciled over those with a Poppy Prismacolor and switched to Memento Rhubarb and Potter's Clay dye inks. These worked much better on my well-inked backgrounds.
I also learned don't sponge Distress Inks over a Micron Pigma pen--it is not colorfast. I think a very fine line Sharpie would work much better.
Overall, I am happy with this card and am already at work on a second one in this style. This will be perfect to send to one of my quilting friends.
Thank you, Lindsay, for always provided a fantastic project idea!