Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Texas Pride

If you look closely at the picture above, you can see the fruit of my labor (no pun intended) amidst all the clutter on my work desk. I participate in the ATC swaps at Stamp Antonio and one of the April themes was "Texas". I decided to do "Texas farmer". I stamped a background on blue cardstock of gingham using the new Stormy Sky Tim Holtz ink. I then overstamped an old farmhouse (Wildlife Enterprises) and a windmill (Stamp Goods). These are both stamps I have had for years and years. Do those companies even still exist??? I then added a transparency of my son at his grandpa's farm in West Texas. It's hard to see in such a small size, but he is leaning over a cow fence gate. I then added "cotton" snow--yes, when they are ginning cotton out there the ground is covered with white like snow. I cut the selvedge from a yard of cloth that says "100% cotton and printed in the U.S.A." and added a piece of red cotton cloth with a button. The final touch was to add a doctored up metal tag that says "Texas farmers--Texas pride". My son always loved to be on the farm--a place where he felt free despite all the hard work. He lost both his grandparents who worked the farm this past year, but I hope he never loses the memories of being out there in the open fields and skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment